Newspaper Archive of
Southern Cross
Savannah, Georgia
May 22, 1937     Southern Cross
PAGE 5     (5 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 5     (5 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
May 22, 1937
 

Newspaper Archive of Southern Cross produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2018. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




MAY 22, 1937 THE BUI..LIN OF THE, CATHOLIC L AYm:NJ ARION. -OF MARKWALTER]MI"I Marion HiUiara VICTOR Addresses C. D. of A. MADE ST ATE Ilk II tlt, II I =!1l It Jr | Ul:t'U/|lz00oted Author Speaks at St. Annual Convention Held in Atlanta Names Augustan as Head of Georgia K. of C. (Special  The Bulletin) ATLANTA, G--Kglg" .h of Colum- bus of Georgia in bringing to a th annual state converltzon, [ elected Victor Markwalter, Augusta,] as State Deputy, to succeed John J. ] McCreary. of Macon. . I The newly elected State Deputy s] serving at present his. second texLm_ as | Grand Knight of Patrick W al. Co ur- | cil, Augusta, whmh. under ..ms ame | :leadership has made spmnmct proS-! tess. I : blr. Maxkwalter, a certified pub||el accountant, is prominent in his profes- sion in the South, and has been ac- tive in the civic and religious life of Augusta, and has for many years been identified in an outstanding manner with the work of the Knights of Co- lumbus. Other officials elected by the Geor- gia State Council included W. g. Mc- Alpha, of Atlanta, state secretary; J. E. Touhey, of Brunswick, treasurer; F G. FJur, of Columbus, warden; A. J. Ryan, Jr, of Savannah, advocate; John Bradley, of Atlanta, alternate to the state deputy, and W. T. Walsh, of Savannah, alternate to the past state deputy. The convention opened with a pon- tifical high mass at the Church of the Immaculate Conception, with the Most Reverend Gerald P. O'Hara, D. D., Bishop of Savannah-Atlanta, offi- ciating. Bishop O'Hara also delivered at1 eloquent address at the convention session. Representatives of each of the coun- cils of the order in the state were in l attendance, and the delegates were the guests of the members of the Atlanta Council at several social functions, in- eluding an elaborate ban_cluet. .. : Macon was chosen as the convenuon city for 1938. P, T, A, MEMBERS IN SHANDON PARISH The children of St. Francis de Sales parish attend the City Parochial School conducted by the Ursuline Nuns at St. Peter's Church. The Parent-Teachers Association of St Francis de Sales parish aims to main- tain the interest of the alumni and alumnae of the parish school to as- sist the pastors and the Sisters in the conduct of the school and to help in every enterprise that has for its goal the well being and the work in the -parochial school. The officers of this society are chosen from the alumni and al.ranae resident in either parish. The parishioners from St Francis parish who are officers at president, and Mrs. Char es But an, secretary. The society has about thirty members, in all ome half of whom are from St. Francis de Sales parish. O 0 t- SUMMER SCHOOL l" ASSISTANCE O O The ladies of St- Francis de Sales Sodality of the Blessed Virgin and the ladies of the St. Francis de Sales Altar Society have, in conjunction, rendered much help to the Diocesan Summer School Camps under their affiliation with the N. C. C. W.. which helvs the Most Reverend Bishop in the summer school work but they have chosen also directly to aid the castor in the care of the parish children attending summer schools by the purchase of clothing for needy children, by the supply- ing of needed articles for oersona] use at camu and bv the supplying of money with which the pastor was able to pay for the transportation of children to and from the camps. DAVIS HOTEL --Best Beds Built-- RATES: Single With Bath $1.75 Double With Bth $2.75 Limited Number Rooms Without Bath. sUMTER STREET COLUMBIA, S. C. Fine Pens Factory Service We Repair All Make Pens PARKERSHEAFFER CONKLIN The Pen & Pencil Shop rhe South's Only Exclusive Pen Shop" 115 Peachtree Arrade Atlanta. Ga. WAI,MAN--EVERSHARP s. m. stewart. Mgr. Augustine Court About Spain Officers of the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin Mary of St. Peter's parish are: Mrs. Marion Johnson, president; Miss Elizabeth Bellinger, i secretary; the Very Rev. Martin Mur- phy, V. F., spiritual director. There are one hundred membe, rs on the roll; they receive Commumon m a body every third Sunday of month and hold a meeting every tnlra Sunday ,afternoon of the month. . .. The members of the Sodality vmlt the sick and have Masses said for the dead. They made the retreat .to Our Blessed Mother last December, a large number attending. The Sodality has presented Father Murphy with four beautiful altar linens, made by Miss Mary Cantwell of the Sodality. The organization is affiliated with the Charleston Dioces- an Council of Catholic Women, to which Mrs. F. J. Dutton went as a delegate to the convention held in Charleston in April. A Bingo party and rummage sale will be hold in the near future to increase the Sodality treasury. _ The organization contributes_to the milk fund every month for the un- dernourished children of St. Peter's school; it assists in preparing some of the children of the parish to make their first Communion in May. Columbus Catholic-Club Presents 'Listening In' Talented Young Artists De- light Large Audience (S/cial to The Bulletin) COLUMBUS, Ga.--'istenlng In", a delightful play in the form of a radio broadcast was presented by the Junior Catholic Club, on May 14, at the Catholic Club in this city: The cast under the direction of Mr. Salvador Spano and Mrs. William Cormoly, included Billy Cashion, Merle Kennon, Raymond Krebs, Jeanne Bouchard, John Murphy, Vince Spano, Agnes Mingledorf, Dor- othy Westhrook, Joseph McDermott, Lawrence McAnley, Mary Pacetty, Martha Johnson, Grace Hunderrnark, Mary Hundermark, Louise Mallard, Marguerite Anderson, Mary Nell Cash|on, Julian Baird, Alice West- brook, Carroll L'Atini, Patricia Raines, Barbara Yarbrough, Suzanne Fo]aum, Anne Westbrook, and Fay Prndunn. Interpolated numbers included vo- cal selections by Miss Madalyn Gar- rett, John Harris, and his violin; Ele- anor McGregor, in a soft shoe dance; Louise Nolan. in a reading, Ninette Rogers, in an original interpretation of the "Minuet", and music by the Dixie Serenaders. The performance was not only an artistic triumph, but successful from a financial standpoint, the proceeds going to the benfit of the Catholic Club. FR. EUGENE CARROLL, KINGSTON, N. C., DIES (Spedai to The llletin) KINSTON, N. C.--Funeral services for the Rev. Eugene P. Carroll, who died on May 6, were held from the Church of the Holy Trinity, of which he had been pastor for seven months, the Most Rev. William J. Hafey, D. D., Bishop of Raleigh, offering the solemn pontifical requiem mass. Father Carroll was a member of the American Legion, having served with the navy as an enlisted man during the World War, and later serving as a member of the naval attachment of the American embassy in Buenos Aires. He was a graduate of St. Bonaven- ture College, Alleghany, N. Y., and completed his theological study at Mt. St. Mary's Seminary, Emmitsburg, Maryland. He was ordained priest in Hartford, Conn. For several years Father Carroll was secretary to the Bishop of Ral- eigh, and also served as pastor of St. Paul's Church. at Henderson, and at the Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Help, at Rocky Mount. Secular newspapers of Kinston paid splendid editorial tribute to the young priest who in the small space of seven months had endeared him- self to the entire community, Catho- lic and non-Catholic alike. Irish Clans" Funeral Services in Atlanta (SIxial to The Bulletin} ATLANTA, Ga.--The Irish Horse Traders. famed traveling merchants of the South, gathered in Atlanta at the Church of the Immaculate Con- ception late in April for the annual funeral services for the members of the clan which have died during the year. This year there was one to be mourned, little Michael O'Hara, 12, who died in Albany last summer; Fa- ther Jas. P Smith officiated at the Requiem Mass. Interment was in West View Cemetery. The clan nmmbers then went to Nashville fur the ftmeral Mass of James  , who died ia indiat in May.. ................... MISSIONARY SOCIETY OF SAVANNAH MAKES ITS ANNUAL REPORT Miss Kate Walsh President of Organization Assisting Missions of State SAVANNAH, Ga.- The annual report of the Savannah Branch of the Catholic Missionary Society of Geor- gia, recently submitted" by Miss Kate Walsh, president, indicates the con- tinued activity of this splendid organ- ization which interests itself particu- larly in the missions of the state. The report follows: Most Reverend Bishop, Reverend Clergy, Fellow Catholics: The Catholic Missionary Society records another year's work for the Missions of Georgia. This yearhas been the first under the guidance our most revered and beloved Bishop Gerald P. O'Hara. Grateful indeed are we to our Holy Father for selecting  Excellency to be the shepherd of otw souls, for one of his fn'st acts as Bishop was a personal visit to the isolated spots of the diocese, manifesting his deep con- cern for the missions. His interest m our Society has been most helpful and encouraging. The apopintment of the Rev. Father James H. Grady to the pastorate at Rome, Ga., meant the loss of our chaplain. Most deeply did we feel this lo., for much of the growm ox the Society was due to the intere .,st and enthusiasm of Father Grady. We shall pray for his success in his new field. We welcome as our present chaplain, Father Mullin whose zeal and knowledge of the missions will surely be valuable to our Secle We rejoice in the honor .owed by our Holy Father on Mrs. Kath- erine Flannery Semmes. The medal and citation for outndlng work for the Church and the Pope was indeed a just recognition of one whose never failing interest in all things Catholic has endeared her to the members of her faith. MAHaNG About 1,000 pieces of Catholic llt- erature were distributed this yearto our missions. The committee in charge of this work now is Miss Anes. Lyons. Miss Me Murphy and Mrs. B. J. Allen. It is with deep sorrow we record the passing away o  Elizabeth Forehand, a mast faithful worker on this committee. May she rest in peace! NEW We are most hav to welcome as collectors Miss Katherine Curium,. Miss Bridget Fogarty and  Mary Ellen Grady. Our collections are the mainstay of Society,  we depend almost wholly upon the help given month-by-month by the individual Catholic. The outstanding activityof the yem was the eard party #win in Octob 1936. Under the cient dhection of Miss :Margaret MeNa]ly, this affair was a most splendid mmee. TIN "I2n foil is ill a mwee  income. This years' sales ted to 5.50. Keep saving tinfoil CONTR Contributions during the year were made to the Students' Educaticmal Fund, to the Infirm Priests' Fund and to the Vacation School Camp estab- lished by our Bishop. ALTAR Altar linens were supplied to the Church at LaGrange, as well as an Alb and Altar linens for the Church at Rocky Ford. These last named were given to us by the Tabernacle Society of Montclalr, N. J. We wish to express our thanks to Miss Kate Latham for hey careful supervision of this phase of our work. APPRECIATION For speical contributions we are deeply grateful to our Most Reverend Bishov, to Mrs. K. F. Semmes. and to Miss Ellen Gilooly, whose gift was in memory of her deceased sister, Miss Katherine Gilooly. Our thanks are due also to our constant helpers, the Sacred Heart School, the St. Vincent's School the Mar|st School. the Ladies' Auxiliary to the A. O. H., and the Catholic Wo- men's Club. For courtsies of the press, we are indebted to The Savannah Morning News. to The Savannah Press and to The Bulletin. Most sincerely grateful are we to oitr officers for their faithful work; to all of our members for their sup- port( and to our .collectors for their untirin gefforts for the misison cause. May the Great Misisenary reward each and every one of these. I find for closing words none bet- ter than those of our beloved found- er, a plea for the daily rosary, the weekly Communion, frequent invoca- tion of our patrons," Saint Patrick and Saint Francis Xavier, and a prayer for our Holy Father, Pope Plus XI. Respectfully submitted, KATE A. WAI.H, president. MSGR. 1EL J. READY, executive secretary of the Natlol Catholic Welfare Conference, in an address to the Ladies Auxilairy of the National Catholic School of Social Service, broadcast by the National Broadcast- ing Company network, lauded the coura'ge and the foresight of those wlm establied the school, which is pon.ad by the NiOmd  t ,Catholi ,Wome ..... ' .... Silver Jubilees Observed by Two Atlanta Marists Bishop 0'Haxa Pontificates and Preaches Sermon as Sacred Heart Parish Honors the Beverend James T. Reilly, S. M., Pastor, and the Reverend Edward F. cOrath, S. M;, Assistant Pastor, Upon Quarter Cen- tury as Members of Marist Order (Special to The Bulletin). ATLANTA. Ga:--Special serwces in the Sacred Heart Church, on May 11 and 12, marked the completion of 25 years of service as members of the Mar|st Order of the Rev. James T. Reilly, S. M.. pastor, and the Rev. Edward F. McGrath, S. M., assls- tanL ATLANTA., INFIRMARY NURSES GRADUATED Bishop O'Hara Addresses St. Joseph's Training School Class at Commencement (Speel to The Iet) ATLANTA, Ga.--The Most Rev. Gerald P. O'Hara, D.D, Bishop of Savannah-Atlanta, addressed the an- nual commencement exercises at Sa- cred Heart Church at High Mass May at which diplomas from the St. Joseph's ffJrnmry Schocl of Nurs- ing were awarded to the following: The Misses Mattle Maurine Hobby, of Ashburn, Ga.; Mary Ann Tuggle, of Eatonton; Mabel Grace Ballard, of North Augusta, S. C.; Tannie Banks of Fayetteville; Mary Louise Young, of Montgomery; Virginia Adeline McGhee, of Rome; Wilton Barrdw of Barwick, Ga.; Nancy Chriztman, of Atlanta; Nancy Grace Lee ,of New- nan; Jimmy Drucilla Davis, of New- nan; Mary Elizabeth Potts, of High- lands, N. C.; Geraldine Farrar Tal- ent, of Lula, Ga.; Ava Louise Me- Kee, of Attapulgus, Ala., and Evelyn Louise Miller, of DeLand, Fla. The Very Rev. James T. Reilly, S. M. pastor 5f Sacred Heart Church, presided. At the dinner following Bishop O'Hara, Father Reilly, Dr. W.. C. Waters, president of the hospital staff, and Dr. J. W. Turner, presi- dent-elect, were guests of honor. MARIST COE CADETS fur- nished a guard of honor for the Con- federate veterans in the annual pa- r',*de here on Confederate Memorial Day, April 26. MISS KATHERINE WOOTEN, whose mother was a member of the pioneer Lynch famAly of this city, was elected librarian general of the National Society, United Daughters of 1812. at the annuel convention at Washington, D.C. Miss Wooten has gone to England to attend the corD- nation, sailing May 4. MARIST SCHOOL tied Chamblce High for second place in' the Fifth District annual track meet, Decatur fmishlng first Ryckeley of Mar|st, flrdshed first in the 220-yd. da the Marist rehy mrn, Tyson, McDonald, Wright and lvckelcy, wn the hallo mile relay, Tysm was third in the ll0-yard dash and in the low hurdles, and McDonald second in the broad jump. SCH001.S WIN HONORS IN 12TERAR MEEt David Muncrief was awarded first teaCe in the declamation contest in annual literary events meet of the Fifth District High schools at Druid Hills High School which was won by Decatur High. In the spelling contest Sacred Heart School finish- ed first and Mar|st second. Gerald Commagere won second place in the boys' essay contest. Miss Dorothy Baumstark, third place in the girls' essay event, and Miss .Marie Merk- ling third in the reading contest. FORT BENNING CHAPLAIN 'GOES TO WASHINGTON (Special to The Bulletin) FORT BENNING. Ga. -- Major John F. Monahan. Catholic Chaplain at the Infantry School here for the past five years, has been ordered to report for duty at the office of the chief of chaplains, Washington, D. C. Major Monahan was one ef the most popular of the officers attached to Fort Penning, was treasurer of the Fort Benning Welfare Council and in the capacity of chaplain was a splen- did influence for good among the per- sonnel of the post. A graduate of Boston College, of the class of 1910, Major Monahan saw service with the American forces in Siberia, and since his return in 1920 with the 27th Infantry has been sta- tioned at Fort Oglethorpe, Camp Dodge, Kelly Field, Fort Shaftr and in Hawaii. On the first day of the jubilee cele- bration, Father McGrath was eel_e- brant at a Solemn High Mass, whi.cll was attended by students of M art College and Sacred Heart" Pareemm SchooL The sermon, which had as its theme the holiness of the priest-: hood, was delivered by The Rev. P. H. Dagneau, S. M., principal of Mar|st. Colegefollowing---- morning a Solemn Pantifical .High Mass was offered by the Most Rev. Gerald P. O'Hara, D. D., Bishop of Savannah-Atlanta...The Rev. Joseph Moylan was ts.am.l priest, the Rev. Andrew Keltus, . ., of Washington, D. C., and Father Mc- Grath were deacons of honor, while the Rev. William Magulre,. S. M., acted as master-of-ceremonms. The Rev. Daniel McCarthy, of Columbus, was deacon, and the Rev. James Me- Namara, of Milledgeville, sub-deacon, of the mass. The sermon, appropriate to the )ccaslon, was delivered by Bishop O'Hara. During the services, at which tbe Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus and the Mar|st College Cadet Corps, assisted in uniform, Sir Knight, J. J. Haverty, K. S. G., was among, tho. in the sanctuary. The preeesson ozo clergy entered the church unaer an arch of sabres, formed by cadet of- ficers. Following the mass at a breakfas which was served the attending clergy Bishop O'Hara, Father Keltus, Father Reilly, and Father McCartl spoke. . , Among the clergy in atenuance were the Righ Rev. Ambrose te_ ger, u. o. B., abbot of St Bernard s, Cullma, Alabama; the Right lv. Monsignor Joseph F. Croke, rector of the Cathe- dral of St. John-the-Baptist, Savan- nah; and the Right Rev. Francis T. Sullivan, of Chattanooga. During the May Festival, held in the evening, on the campus of Mar|st College, a reception was tendered the jUbilarians, and Stephens Mitchell, on behalf of the parlshoners of Sacred Heart Church. presented Father Rcilly and Father McGrath with a check for one thousand dollars. Father McGrath spent his boyhood days in Tale, Ga., and in Atlanta. Entering the Mar|st order in 1901 he completed his ph osopldcal and theological courses  at the Mar|st seminary in Washington, and was ordained in 1921. Following ordination Father Mc- Grath was a member of the faculty of Jefferson College, until the World War, during which he served as a chaplain with the United States Army. After the Armistice, Father Mc- Grath was made assistant pastor at Algiers, La, where during his rate, the handsome Sacred Heart Church was built one of the finest Gothic churches in the South was built. Father Reilly was born m Savan- nah, Ga., on January 19, 188. He was educated by the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of St Joseph. and later atended the Marlst Seminary, Marist College and the Catholic Uni- versity in Washington, D.C. He was ordained on June 20. 1912, and taught for three years at the Seminary in Washington, D. _C., and five years at St. Mary's Collee__ m Van Buren, MaineFor th next three and one-half years, he was in charge of English-speaking Catholics in Mexico City, Mexico. In January, 1924, he became assistant pstor at the Church of St. Francis Xavier in Brunswick, Ga., and in August 1926. was made assistant pastor at The Church of the Holy Name of Mary, Algiersj La. Leaving Al,iers in August,'19T[, he became assistant pastor at Sacred Heart Church, in Atlanta. In Octo- ber, 1932, he returned to Brunswick, to be pastor of St. Francis avier Church, and in August, 193, was made pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Atlanta. and ,)resident of Mar|st Col- lege in this city. P.-G. SERVICE Dealers  in GARWOOD BOATS Evinrude Motors and Thompson Boats 267 Peachtree Street Phone 1650. Atlanta, Ga. GREEN and MILAM Wholesale Distributors FRUITS AND PRODUCE ATLANTA GFA) I