Newspaper Archive of
Southern Cross
Savannah, Georgia
June 28, 1941     Southern Cross
PAGE 3     (3 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 3     (3 of 20 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
June 28, 1941
 

Newspaper Archive of Southern Cross produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2017. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




JUNE 28, 1941 THE BULLETIN OF THE CATHOLIC LAYMEH&apos;S ASSOCIATION OF GEORGIA THREE Asheville Pastor Felicitate,[ on L Bulletins FRANCIS P. MATTHEWS, Omaha, Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus, calling for wholehearted support of the United Service Organizations, says in an ap- peal to his Order that the defense emergency "commands our utmost effort in moral and financial aid to safeguard, and to provide for the spiritual and material well-being of the chict defenders of the Americhn way q:f life." .KEPORTS SPREAD ABROAD that the Va;icmt might soon operate its own merchant fleet were said in Vat- ican Ciiy to I_ "simply ridicnlous." It has lueen reported in secular sources that because of the scarcity of s*me foodstuffs, there was "'spec- uL-itien" on the likelihood of the Vat- ieau chartering some freighters and operating, them under the Papal flag. MONSIGNOR PETER H. WYN- HOVER. chairman of the Gulf Zone Shipbuilding and Repair Stabilization Conference, signed the agreement that "tltere will be neither strikes nor lockouts" in the zone for the next two years. Monslg3mr Wynhoveu was deignated "Citisen of tile Week" in the program of that name which! was broadcast on Father's Day hy WWL, station of Loyola University of tht. South. HIS HOLINESS POPE PlUS XH ires honored the Most Rev. Christo- lther Ig. Byrne, Bishop of Glves4on, with appointment as an assLslant to the. Pontifleai Throne. Bishop Byrne Will o4bserve the golden jubilee of his ordination to the priesthood in September. TWO CHICAGO NUNS, Sister Mary Jordan, O. P., and Sister Matt Kenenth, O. P., of Rosarian Acad- my, were killed in an automobile Imehlent near Fort Pierce, Fla. Sis- tel" Basilia, O. P., also of the Rosa- rlem Academy, was critically injur- ed. i 1MEISS AGNES G. REGAN has re- signed- her position as Executive SecreL3ry of the National Conneil o[ Catholic Women, a post she held for 21 years, sitter the organization of N. C. C. W. in 1920. Accepting the resignation "with deep regret and with heaviness of heart2' the Board of Directors ap- painted Mils Margaret T. Lynch, who few 1" years has served as A- sLtant Executive Secretary, to sue- eeed Miss Began. WHEN F1[IgE DESTROYED the almost century old Church of the Mother of Perpetual Help at Bothe- say, New Brunswick, ,the Rev. Dr. W. R. Hthbard, rector of St. PauVs Anglican Church, offered the use of St. Paul's Sunday School hall, a the temporary church. The offer was gratefully aceled, and the hall. adjacent to the Anglican Church, is now used by the Catho- ]c tion pending rebuilding the burned structure. TWO JAPANESE SFMINARI- ANS who completed their priest- hood by the Most Rev. M. J. Lem- ieux, O. P., retired Bishop of San- dal, Japan. The new priests are the levs. Morizo Bernard Fukazowa md Munao Martin Koyonm. SPEAKING AT the annual meet- ing of the Minnesota district of the Lutheran Missouri Synod at St. Paul, rite Rev. W. E. Pape, Wayzata, Minn., opposed the practice of holding bac- caianrcate ervices in public schools, declaring it violates the principle 0 separation of Church and Star. "At no other time during the entire life og the school child," Mr..Papa said, "is religiou fought in these schools. He suggested that a "'graduate night" be observed in the respective churches in place of baccalaureate services. Mount de Sales, Macon, Holds Commencement_____._ [ (Special to The Bulletin) ] MACON, Ga.--Closing the sixty- [ furth scholastic year, graduation cx-[ ercises for Mount de Sales Academy [ were held in St. Joseph's Church.| The mmon at the Mass was deliver-i ed by the Rev. Cajetan Sullivan, C. | P., and the academy student choirl smlg. Father Sullivan is a Chaplain at Camp Wheeler. Diplomas were presente eleven members oL the graduating class: Misses Elizabeth Benedetto, first hon- or; Irene Moore, Peggy Lou Glen- ton, Katherine Lovein, Janet Fried Frances Walden, Ruth McBrearty, Noel Volk, Doris Miller. Dorothy Cunningham and Grace Thomas. ST. FRANCIS XAVIER INFIRMARY AUXILIARY RLECS NEW OFFICERS CHARLESTON, S. C.--Mrs. Arehie D. Willis was re-elected president of the Women's Auxiliary of St. Francis Xavier Infirmary at the annual meet- ing of the group held at the infirm- ary. Other officers elected include Mxs. Paul E. Trouche. Jr., vice-pres- ident: Mrs. Michael Groves. record- ing secretary; Mrs, J. Albert Von I}ohlen, corresponding secretary: Miss - May Condon, treasurer: Mrs. W. P. CatweH, Jr., auditor, and Mrs. Thos. W. ReynoldsJ Mrs. Gerald M. Car- ter, Mi Rosa Oliver. and Mrs. Vir- gil D. Svendsen, members of the board. ..... Silver Jubilee St. Lawrence. Church, Asheville :'"': " " :i. ; ;;: ;,L:: .... i St_ Lawrence Cimrch, Asheville, North Carolina. noted as a gem of eccle- siestical art. was consecrated in 1920, Cardin-ll Gibbons delivering the ser- mon on that occasion. The edifice was designed by the renowned Rafael Gustavino, Spanish archit&ct brought to Asheville hy the Vanderbilts. The Rev. Louis J. Bour is the pastor, with theJlev. James H. King, assistant. Asheville also has St. Joan of Arc Church, of which the Rev. John P. Manley is the pastor, with the Rev. Frank'O'Brien as his assislant St. Anthony's, the Colored parish in Asheville, is a charge of the Franciscans, the Rev. Edmund Murphy, O. F. M., being the pastor, with the Rev. Nathaniel McDonald, O. F. M., and the Rev. Wilfred Hughes, O F M, assistants. St. Paul's Parish, Spartanburg, Offers Hospitality to Service Men wifich they have pledged their sup- port. While- it is true that there are recreational facilities for the soldier in camp, the change from the camp atmosphere" is what the men desire, and in order to maintain the morale of the men in service it is essential that there be places where they can find a welcome and wholesome en- tertainment while away from the army reservation. Dances are held at the parish hall every Saturday night. Girls come to and from the dances with their parent s or chaperones, and music is furnished hy an orchestra from the camp. The hall is usually crowded with dancers for these affairs which: are supervised by members of the Holy Name Eiociety at the camp. Parishmners of St. Paul's Church are also engaged in other com- munity service, devoting a part of their time to the makiug of band- ages, Red Cross sewing, and motor corps work. tSpecial to The Bulletin) SPARTANBURG, S. C.--St. Paul's parish in Spartanburg is a small one, but its pastor, the Rev. Francis O. Ferri, and his committee of men and women are expending a great deal of time and effort and accomplish- ing wonders in their effort to wel- come the thousands of Catholic boys and their friends who are now in training at Camp Croft. The parish hail is open every night in tile week and is equipped with ping pong and card tables, a record player, mazines, books, radio, witing tables, and facilities for dispensing refreshments. Mem- bers of the parish visit the hall each evening to greet the soldiers and oin with them in their games. They invite the boys from the camp to ride with tl,em and welcome them in their homes for meals. Each and every member of the parish seems to feel a duty to con- tribute in some way to the National Catholic Community Service, to Ursuline High School, Columbia. Holds Graduation Exer.c'o.es ing the Rev. William G. Mulvihill, the Rev. Charles J: Baum, asYisants at St. Peter's, the Ray. Timothy J. McGrath, assistant chaplain at Prov- idence Hospital; the Ray. Thomas L. Wetland, O. P., pastor of "Blessed Martin de Porres Mission. and the Very Rev. Martin C. Murphy, pastor of St. Peter's, who escorted Bishop WaLsh. Bishop Walsh held the attention of the congregation by the strength and! simplicity of his ringing addrzss to l the graduating class, his topic was timely and stirring With a fine viril- ity and the high courage of deep thought, broad vision and profound faith iu man's great place in life and his eternel heritage. The exercises closed with Solemn l=ontifical Benediction of the Blessed: Sacrament. The young women who recei:Jed diplomas were Misses Mary Bernice B'itt, Anita Maria Brunson, Jose- phine Mary Cannarella, Mary Jane Comey, Lena Elizabeth DeMates, Eleanor Clare Driggers, Christine Elizabeth Jenkins, Viola Mary Kaha- ly, Eleanor Barbara Larsevick, Mary Elizabeth Lovett and Mary Miller Roseberry. Miss Roseberry, first honor student for the four years' study necessary to graduation, was awarded a schol- arship, worth $600, to the Ursuline College, in Louisville, Kentucky. CHARIATTON PRIESTS OFFER INVOCA'1ONS AT PUBLIC SCHOOL COMMENCEMENTS CHARLESTON, S. C.--The invoca- tion and benediction at the com- mencement of the Sullivan's Island school were delivered by the'Rev. William J. Cox, pastor of Stella Marls Church at Moultrieville, and' the benediction at the closing ex- ercises of the John's Island high school was pronounced by the Bey. COLUMBIA, S. C.--According to Margaret Vale, writing in The State more than mere "commencement ex- ercises" were tile graduation cere- monies of Ursuline High School, held at "St. Peter's Church on June 1. They were an esthetic and rev- erently impressive pageant. The account of the closing exer- cises, as published in The State, read in part as follows: ""l'he interior of no building in- Co- lumbia is more artistic and colorful than is that of St. Peter's beautiful church. As decorated for Ursu- line's graduation ceremonies the af- ternoon sunlight flooding the mar- velous stained glass windows with a glory as of fabulous jewels, it was at its loveliest. Against the pristine whiteness of the main altar, with burnitlg tapers in tall silver candle- stick, were arranged cool, green palms, in white jars, tastefully ar- ranged vases of shell pink gladioli, white larkspur and shasta daisies. Silver candelabra gleamed against the two side altars on which were bowls of white gardenias, and be- fore which were floor baskets of larkspur, gladioli and daisies. Be- fore the statues were votive candles whose flickering light added a mys- tic touch to the unusual beauty." With His Excellency the Most Rev. Emmet M. Walsh, D.D., Bishop of Charleston, presiding, the ceremonies opened with a processional march. Rich. accompanying music swelled from the great organ as the choir of young girls entered, clad in white gowns and caps, ,with blue capes, their voices ringing out in the hymns "F, cce Sacerdos Magnus" and "Vent Creator Spiritus'. Pausing on each side of the center aisle, they formed a guard of honor, through which the graduates entered, to take their places in the front pews of the center section. Father Louis Bour Celebrates Anniversary of Ordination Catholics, Protestants, and Jews of Asheville Join in Extending Congratulations to Pastor of St. Lawrence Church ASHEVILLE, N. C.--Evidence of the high esteem in which the be- loved pastor of St. Lawrence's Chinch is held by the people of Asheville, both Catholic and non- Catlmlic, leading citizens, Catholic, Protestant and Jewish joined in ex- tendhg congratulations to the Rev. Louis J. Bout on the occasion of the twcn:y-Iifth anniversary of his ordi- nation to the priesthood. Speakers at Father Bour's jubilee din,.mr at which the Most Rev. Eugen.e J. McGuinness,. D: D., Bishop of Raleigh, presided, included the Rev. Robert F. Campbell, pastor emzritus of the First Presbyterian Church; Rabbi Robert P. Jacobs, of Beth Ha Tephila Tcmp..e, and D. Hilden Ramsey, editor-manager of the Asheville Citizen-Times. Others who appeared on the pro- gram were Francis J. Heazel, K. S. G., member of the Supreme Board of Directors of the Knights of Co- lumbus; John G. Deshler; K. S. G., of Asheville; Anthony Redmond, state deputy of the Knights of Co- . lumbus of North Carolina, and the Rv, John P. Manley, pastor of St. Joan or Arc Church. " " More than five hundred friends of Father Pour attended the Jubilee Mass, celebrated by Bishop McGuin- ness in St. Lawrence Church, v:here Fath.er Pour has been pastor for the last nineteen years. Father Bur was born in Scran- ton, Pa., on December 14, 1888. He was the sixth of the thirteen clfildren of John S. Bour and Mrs. Agatha Ramminger Bour. He attended the Catholic grammar schaol and the Catholic high school: in Scranton, graduating at the age of sixteen. He then" entered St. Francis Col- lege, Cincinnati, completing his study there in 1909. In th, e fall of 1909 he 'he entered the Catholic University of America atWashington, D. C. - During his first year at the Uni- versity Father Bout specialized in scholastic philosophy and theology. He re.eived his degree of Philosophy and Arts in 1911. He continued post- graduate study in the school of education, specializing in the psy- chology of education, and spent three yeais it, research work. He received his degree of Licentiate in Philoe<*phy in 1931. Ltr Father Bour served as di- rector and headmaster at the Ext.en- sion School in Washington, where he worked with Dr. Tilomas Shields in introducing a new method of teach- ing doctrine in the schools: He en- tered St. Bernard's Seminary, Ro- chester, N. Y., and at the comple- tion of his ecclesiastical course, was ordained in 1916 by the Right Rev. Leo Haid, Abbot-Ordinary of Bel- mont. He came to Asheville in 1917, hv- ing been appointed administrator 'in the place of the Rev. Patrick Marion, the pastor, who was ill at that time. Uoon the death of Father Marion in 1922, Father Bour was made pastor of St. Lawrence Church. Augusta Parochial School H01ds.CI0sing Exercises AUGUSTA, Ga.--The Sacred Heart Parochial School held its annual commencement exercises on June 5, in the school auditorium. The Rev. J.' E. O'Donohoe. S. J., pastor of the Sacred Heart Church, oresented certificates of admission to high school to Marion Aiken, Doris Jeffcoat, Rosemary Roberts, Mary Cath.rine Schweers, Mary Anne Wallace nd Evelyn  West. Miss Schweers received a year's scholar- ship to Mount St. Joseph's Academy for the highest average in the eighth grade. The Augusta Police Department exuressed appreciation for the faith- ful service of the school patrol. awarding certificates to Alvin Mills, John Markwalter. Gordon Dixon, Julian Deal. Fred Peterson, Paul Pet- erson, Alfred Zeller. ATLANTA HIBERNIANS HOLD QUARTERLY MEETING ATLANTA, Ga., -- R't- Rev. Msgr. Joseph F. Croke, pastor of St. An- thony's Church, Atlanta, Georgia was host to the Hibernian Benevolent Soc- iety of that city at a supper which preceeded their regular quarterly meeting on June 17, 1941. The high-light of the occasion was the talk of Rev. John J. Kennedy, Joseph's pastor of St. Church, Athens. Georgia. Father Kennedy: who is an excellent eZpcaker, brought out in a manner any one could understand the position of Ireland in World affairs today Included in a number of guests were Eev. H. A. Schonhardt the oldest priest in the diocese, who has serv- ed for 40 ),ears and Rev. John J. O'Shea the youngest priest who was ordained on June7 of this year. A musical program was rendered by Mrs. L. E. Callahan, Miss Mary Jean Cailahan nd young Joe Ham. The delicious supper was made more enjoyable by the service of the John J. McCarthy, assistant rector Tile graduates were follow.M by of the Cathedral .of St. John the altar boys, rhea the clergy, in-lud--Baptist, charming wqitte--se. Church, Athens, Ga: JUBILARIAN ! .7...--.. / FATHER BOUR The Rev. Louis J. Bour, Pastor of St. Lawrence Church. Asheville, North Carolina, who is observing this year the twenty-fifth anniversary of his ordination. Father Bout has served twenty-four of his twenty-five years in the priesthood as adminis- trater and pastor in Asheville. High Point Parish Honors Pastor on Seventh Anniversary (Special to The Ruileiin) HIGH POINT, N. C.--On the occa- sion of the seventh anniversary of his ordination to the priesthood, the Rev. Herbert A. Harkins, pastor of St. Edward's Church, was guest of honor at a dinner given by the meu of St, Edward's parish at the Fran- ciscan Alonement Monastery. At the conclusion of the dinner, the Rev. Bernadine Watson. S. A., who is in charge of the new Color- ed Mission of Christ the King here. gave an interesting talk on leader- ship vnd coooeration. John Mc- Hugh, of the Postal Telegraph Com- pany, presented a spiritual gift iu the form of the names of the men of the parish who would form lle foundation for the new parish or- ganization-the Senior and Junior Holy Name Societies. Father Harkins, who comes from New York City, was ordained in I934. and as a priest of the Diocese of Ealeigh "has srved as assistant ;astor at St: Peter's Church, Green- ville, N. C.; as Chaplain at St. Gene vieve's-of-the-Pines, Asheville; as pastor of Holy Angels Church. Mount Airy, and as pastor of 9t. Ed- ward's Church here since last year. ASSISTANT POSTMASTER GENERAL A VISITOR IN HIGH POINT HIGH POINT. N. C.--The Honor- able Ambrose O'Connell, First As- sistant Postmaster General of he United States. oaid a visit to St. Edward's Church and rectory while in attendance at the convention of the postmasters of North Carolina held here this month. Mr. O'Connell is a personal friend of the Fev. Herbert A. Harkiirs, pastor of E't. Edward's Church, who delivered the invocation at the ses- sions of the postmasters" conven- tion. Sightseeing tours for the visiting postmasters inchided a stop at the site purchased several years ago for the new Church. of St. Edwar.|. Among ihe guests at the convention who were among those making the tom- were the Honorable Philip Gal- lagher and Mrs. Gallagher, of Bos- ton. WINSTON-SALEM K. OF C. VISIT HIGH POINT, N. C. HIGH POINT, N. C.-- The Win- ston-Salem Council o the Knights of Columbus, recently organized, met in St. Edward's rectory at High Point on the evening of Jun,e 2"3. The purpose of holding the meeting of the council here xws to further enlist the interes of the Catholic men of High Point in fi: Knights of Columbus. Several members of ct. Edward's parish are charter members of the Winston-Salem Council, and it is an- ticipated that a number of adidtional apolications for membershio will to- sult fl'om the meeting held here. Rev. John Morris Assistant Pastor St. Joseph's Athens SAVANNAH, Ga--His Excellency, the Mogt Rev. Gerald P. O'Hra, Bishop of Savannah-Atlanta. has an- nounced that the Rev. John A. M,)r- ris. assistant rector of the CathcdrM of S. John the Baptist, had been ap- pointed assistant to the llev. John J. Kennedy, pastor of St. Joseph's