Newspaper Archive of
Southern Cross
Savannah, Georgia
November 29, 1947     Southern Cross
PAGE 30     (30 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 30     (30 of 32 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
November 29, 1947
 

Newspaper Archive of Southern Cross produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2017. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




TEN-A t THE BULLETIN OF THE CATHOLIC LAYMEN"S ASSOCIATION OF GEORGIA NOVEMBER 29, 1947 MACON 80DALrrY MEMBEES ATTEND LAYMEN'S CONVENTION--Pictured with Father Rob- err Bryant, S. J., (left) pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Macon, are some of the members of the Sodality of the Blessed Virgin, from Mount de Ses Academy, Macon, who attended the annual convention of the Catholic Laymen's Association of Georgia, held in Columbus, on October 26. Archbishop Cameii Dies inLos Anl[dos LOS ANGELES-- (NC) --Arch- bishop John J. Cantwell of Los Angeles. was laid' to rest here after the two-mile long eorIage escorting his body wound through streets lined solidly by thousands of parochial school children to Calvary Cemetery. Solemn Pon- tifical Mass of Requiem was of- fered t the Cathedral of St. Vlbiana by His Eminence, Fran- c/s Cardinal Spellman, Archbishop of New York. with 8,000 people crowd/rig the cathedral and its immediate vicinity. More than 500 priests, three Archbishops and a Bishop joined with Governo Earl Warren of California, movie executives, rep- resentatives of foreign naUoru and municipal offiicals in the last tribute to the 70-year-old Arch- bishop who wits the first bead of the Los Angeles Arch-dlocese after it was established as a separate e. Two brothers of the late Arch- Bishop Monsignor James Cantwell and Father William Cantwell, tceompanied Cardinal Spellman to the cathedral for the last rites. Bishop Joseph T. McGucken, newly-elected administrator of the Archdiocese, preached the sermon. Archbishop Cantwell had been the spiritual leader of Los Angeles Catholics since 1917. During his tenure the Dioceses of Monterey- Fresno and San Diego were carv- ed out of the territory under his jurisdiction, but at his death the Ca.th01ic population o the reduced area under him wa more than 800,000, about seven times that af the territory he originally took over. Born in Limerick. Ireland. De- cember 1, 1874. the future Arch. bishop was educated at Sacred Heart College, Crescent, Limer- Ick and at St. Patrick's Collgge, 1.hurles, Tipperary, places which he visited only a few months ago during a vacation in his native land.. He was ordained in June 1800, "and came that same year to the United States. He was one of four brothers who entered the priesthood and eventually served the Church in the Archdioaese of an Francisco. The other three tc stationed there at this time: Msgr,, James Cantwell and the Revs. "Wiliium and Arthur Cant. well. MRS. EDWARD DOUGHERTY FUNERAL IN SVANNAH SAVAN'NAH, Ga.--Funeral ser- vi'Ces for Mrs. Mary Bruder Dougherty, widdw of Edward J. Dbughdrt', who died October 29, were held from the Cathedral of SL John the Baptist. *A native of Charleston, Mrs. Dougherty has lived in Savannah for. a number of years. She is survived by tlee daughters, Mrs. S. H. Sheffield. avannah, Mrs. M $, StanleY. Haddon IIeigbts, N. Y., altd Mrs. J. F. Mclntyre, Ridley Prk, Pa.; a son, C. A. Syms Philadelphia, and eleven grand- chlIdre. !FE OF JUDGE SWIFT .  OF C. SUPREME KNIGHT DIE IN MASSACIIUSETTS ..:,MILFORD, Ma:;s. A Solemn Mass ,of Requiem wa offered on qvcmlbe: 12 .aL..SL Mary's Church lre: for,, .M. )mily Lee Swift. Wife,of Judge:John E. Swift, of the MaCobusctts Suterior Court and prem:Kl)jgh o;:..tho Knights of C.lun]bus. .... ,Irl addition to her.husband. Mt's vifk, is sur,yived.y four children, Miss Nancy L. Swift, .a student al ,.t'inity College, Washington, D. C., Mhs MaYilyn L,.Swift, a graduate o$ Manhattanville College, John 'E. if. J., l...Fl;ancis. L... Swift ,.p,.andcbi., ;,Talon ,,E. Swift, ti sister, Mrs. Bert C. Riley, ,of Monsignor MoYlan Dedicates Church at Thunderbolt (Slmclal to The Bulletin) SAVANNAII, Ga.--The new Church of the Nativity of Ouc Lord. at Thunderbolt. was ded- icated on November  by Mon- signor Joseph E. Moylan. Vicar General of the Diocese of Savan- nah-Atlanta. The church, which is a two-story structure, with a lower floor which is to be used as a parish hall, is of hollow-tile construction with  brick veneer. It was erect- ed according to plans executed by Father John A. Morris, the pas- tor of the parish at Thunderbolt, and was constructed under the supervision of John A. Dolan. Located it the southwest cor- ner of Victory Drive and Me- chanics Avenue, the new edifice serves a parish whieh dembraees Thunderbolt. Bonnabella, Vietory Heights, Green Acres, White Marsh, Wilmington Island and OakLand Island, of the Savannah suburban area. Until the ehurch was completed, -Mass was offered in a remodeled portion of the building which was the famous iannon's Lodge at Thunderbolt. A two-story brick residence, at the rear of the church, on Victory Drive, has been built as a rec- tory. Chaplain Albert Kiner, Camp Gordon, Promoted AUGUSTA. Ca.--Chaplain Al- bert A. Knier, of Camp Gordon, hs received a commission of mar jot in the Regular Army, accord- ing to announcement made by the public relations officer at the local military post. A native of Wisconsin. Major Knier attended the Pontifical Col- lege Josephinum. in Worthington, O., for his high school, college and seminary courses. He was ordain- ed to the priesthood in 1931. add as n priest of the Diocese of Cheyenne. he served for seven years at St. Joseph's Orphanage, Torrington, Wyo. He next was stationed at Greybull, Wyo,, as as- sistant patsor of the Sacred Heart Church...He then went to Cali- fornia to become director of the Catholic Welfare Bureau of the Dioceze of Sacramento. Before entering the Army, in 1943, he was assistapt pastor of Saints Peter and Paul Church, Tucson, Ariz. and at St. Anthony of Padua Church, Wiekenburg, Ariz. After completing a course at the Army Chaplains' school at Harvard University, he was first on duty in the United States and then overseas, in Ireland. England, France. Germany and Austria. In May, 1947, he reported for duty at the disciplinary barracks at Camp Gordon. , where he was post chan]ain where receiving his pro- motion. Fatlmr Kiner is entitled to wear the European Theatre ribbon with four battle stars, the Bronze Star ribbon, the Vie.tory ribbon and the Occupation ribbon. NEW CIIURCH DEDICATED IN liIGH POINT, N. C. HIGH POINT. N. C.--The new Immaculate Heart Of Mary Church, a three-story 1)rick structure serv- in as hoth church and school. was dedicated here by Bishop Via- .cent S. Waters of Raleigh. Serv- ing "the 125 Catholics in the local population of 18,000 it replaces a small fi:am'e b'uitding which was known as St. Edward's Church. The Immaculate Heart of Mary School opened this ,fall with kindergarten and first grade c,10sses. Catholics Of, High Point a'e planning a residence fr eight [s.ters oAnland. who are coming to the city to foun a Catholic hospltaL Falher Millard Neale Dies in Chadofle, N, C,,, NAZARETH, N. C. -- Father Millard Francis Neale, retired, who: had been in resident at-the Sac- red Heart Orphanage here, died on October 17. Funeral services were held at St. Patrlek's Church, Charlotte, with Bishop Vincent S. Waters of Raleigh offering the Pontificlal Mass of Requiem, with Father Sebastian Doris, O. S. B., of Belmont Abbey, and Father James Curran as deacons of honor; Father John Hyiand, deacon of the Mass; Father Ph/llp Tierney, O. S. B., subdeacon, and Father Francis K. O'Brien, master of ceremonies Monsignor Arthur R. Freeman, A., Vicar General of the Diocese of Raleigh, del/vered the sermon. A Requiem Mass was also of-! feted at St. Ignatius Church, Bal- timore, where Father Neale was buried in the new Cathedral Ceme- tery. Born in Baltimore, of a, early Maryland family, of which the second Archbishop of Baltimore, the Most Reverend Leonard Neale, was a member, Father Neaie at- tended Spring Hill" College, Mo- bile, Ale., and Mount "St. Mary's Seminary. Emmitsburg, Md. }Ie was ordained at St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York by the tate Cardinal Hayes, in 1933. He" was stationed at St. Peter's Church. Greenville, N. C., and at the Sacred Heart Cathedral in Raleigh. During the latter ap- pointment' he served as secretary to Bishop William Hafey and as vice-chancellor of the Diocese. Father Neale also served as chaplain at St. Leo's Hospital, Greensboro. before his retirement to Nazareth. He was one of the earliest comic strip artists before he entered the priesthood. He drew for the old Puck and Judge magazineg and was the creator of the strip, "Smilax, the Cat", published in The New "York World. Father Neale is survived by" two sisters. Miss Rosa Neale and Miss Catherine Neale, of New York City, and a. brother, G. Brent Neale. of Jersey City. JOHN WARREN ALLEN FUNERAL IN COLUMBIA COLUMBIA, S. C.Funeral er- vices for John Warren Allen, who died in Baltimore, November 3, w-re held at St. Peter's Church. Mr. Allen was born in Bennetts- ville, the son of. ,Thomas Warrem Allen and Mrs. 3aIlie McColk|m [Allen. After his marriage to. the late Mrs. Francenia Brenna Allen, he moved to Columbia, where he remained for over twenty year. He left Columbia for Baltimore in 1J07. Mr. Ai'ien is survived :bY a son, Edward A. Allen, of Baltimore; a granddaughter, Miss Sallie Me- Kay Allen; a sister, Mrs. Jones Miller. of Abbeville; four nieces, Mrs,. Tay%r Garnett, Miss Mary Brennen,. tiss Franeenia Brennen and Mrs. Caroline Whitmire all of Columbia;. two nephews, E. J: Brennen and, B. T. Daly, both of Columbia. , -. MARCIONO IIERRFRA DIES IN SPARTANBURG SPARTANBURG S. C.--Father Charles ,J. Baum. pastor,:of St. Paul the Apostle Church, officiated at funeral services heidon ,Novem- ber 10 for Marciono' M: Hevera, a native, ot,',the ,Philippines, who had been ltving here for some time; ... CHARLES M. HILL FUNERAL .IN: COLUMBIA . - .COLUMBIA, S.- C. . Ftmeral services for "Charles Montgomery Hillt who died- November.  12; at Oliver GeneraLHospita, t, Augtmt Go., were eld'. at St., .F.anels de Sales Church here, Father A, , Kamler officiating, CASSIDY'S GARAGE GASOLINE, OiLS , GREASES, STORAGE AUTOMOBILE REPAIRS -- DAY PARKING 409 Mulberry Street Macon, Georgia J. W. Densen. Pres. E.J. Densen. Jr.. Sec.-Treas. KARSTEN & DENSON COMPANY SEEDS, DAIRY AND POULTRY EQUIPMENT Flower Seeds & Bulbs. a SpeelaltyWe Operate the Karsten & Denson Hatchery, Purebred and Blood-Tested Day-Old Chicks. MACON, GEORGIA BEST WISHES ARD CASH GROCERY J. D. ARD J.A. TEBEAU STAPLE and FANCY GROCERIES FRESH MEATS, FISH and OYSTERS 289 WASHINGTON AVE. MACON. GEORGIA" FRANK IRBY CO. PLUMBING and HEATING WE 'SELL AND INSTALl, GAS HEATERS AND HOT WATER TANKS REPAIRING A SPECIALTY 565 Mulberry St. Terms: Cash Macon. Georgia HILLYER C. WARLIOK'S STUDIO 17 COTTON AVENUE MACON, GEORGIA Idle Hour Nurseries South's LeadingFlorist Telephone 224 109 CottOn "Avenue Macon, Georgia SUNSHINE DAIRIES -R. B, WADL}YI erol Ice Cream---Milk,--Butter Phone 290 510 Fotyth St. .Macon, Ca. i Best Wishes From , KERNAGH00 Inc. I